Wednesday, May 2, 2012

OUR KITCHEN RENOVATION

Quite some time ago my wonderfully handy husband and I decided to take on a complete kitchen renovation. My initial hopes were to get it done BEFORE the arrival of our precious Paxton, but you know life happens, and so many other important things took precedence over it's completion. Until NOW! I'm so very thrilled to post, it is FINISHED!! And I couldn't be any more pleased with how it turned out. After many, many, many weekends of hard DIY work, we cannot wait to start soaking up lots of memories where we're sure to share many warm meals and plenty of stories of each of our days. This kitchen will definitely be the loving heart of our happy little home.

So now, the tour! … But let's first step back and look at our kitchen before this lovely little reno.



These were taken when we moved in, so please excuse all the moving clutter. The people we bought our house from are the sweetest and loveliest people. And they had the kitchen done up in a cute little country style that fit perfectly with their personalities. But it was a little too country for our taste. Thus, the transformation ...


Ta-daaaaa! Here it is! It's still country, because, hey, we live in the country, but it now has a more modern twist. {And it wouldn't be nearly as cute without that little stinker in his big boy seat!}

And just look at that precious puppy! She just had to make it in the shot, too! Okay, so check out that island! It's awesome, right? Well, that little piece has a restoration story of its own. It's an old workman's cart from the old GM plant in Dayton, OH. I found it on etsy from a lovely lady, and well, I just had to have it and make it into this wonderful island! Check out its "before" photos below.






Again, my wonderful husband had to help with this project, too (his welding skills were needed), but I'm proud to say I completed almost all of this restoration myself! Go me! So, go on and enjoy the rest of the tour!

This antique pie safe is a family heirloom. I'm so pleased to have it.


Kitchen cart/island goodness! And just look at that handsome steed back there! Gah!


Oh, and look at that chandelier! That's one of my favorite DIY lights I've ever created. I think it's beautiful, and Paxton does, too! He loves how the light shines on the ceiling!





Oh, my happy little cheese! Mama loves you so much, Paxton!!



These cabinets are straight from Ikea, but the finish is straight from me! I glazed all the doors to give them a rustic touch.


My sink! Oh, how I'm so very, very happy that I finally got my farm sink! And it's the perfect size for bathing a cute little baby!



We were going to do a white subway tile back splash. But my husband had some hesitation of the kitchen being too "white." So we kept our options open, and I'm so glad we decided on a much more colorful glass tile solution. And it matches just splendidly with the island!






Oh, happy little kitchen, how you will forever make our home so much more memorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment